ANNOUNCEMENT OF AN INTERNATIONAL OPEN COMPETITION FOR THE POSITION OF THE RECTOR AT VILNIUS UNIVERSITY
Vilnius University Council in accordance with the provisions of Paragraphs 3-5 in Article 44 of the Statute of Vilnius University announces an international open competition (hereinafter, the Competition) for the position of the Rector at Vilnius University (hereinafter, the Rector) for a five year term.
The status and powers including the process of election and termination of the powers of the Rector are defined in Articles 42-44 of the Statute of Vilnius University.
Monthly remuneration for the Rector shall be calculated by multiplying the average monthly salary received by the professors of Vilnius University (hereinafter, the University) throughout last calendar year (including the income from research and experimental and innovation development projects) with a coefficient of three. The remuneration to be awarded to the successful tenderer at the time of the conclusion of the contract shall be EUR 9000. In accordance with the indicated procedure, the remuneration shall be recalculated annually upon the approval of the Council of the annual report on the activities of the University for the previous year. Throughout the term of office, the Rector shall not be awarded any bonuses or performance-related benefits in addition to the remuneration mentioned afore. Furthermore, the Rector may not engage in any other activity awarded by pay throughout their tenure. Throughout the term of office, the Rector may lecture at the University for at most two academic hours per week regarding the indicated pedagogical activity remunerated in accordance with the Rector's employment contract.
Candidates for the position must be of impeccable reputation, must hold a degree in science (art) or be acknowledged artists with proven teaching and managerial experience. The activity of the candidate for the position of the Rector shall have to be such as to prove that they understand the University mission, foster the values of the University, are motivated to enhance the quality of the University activity, and possess the knowledge, experience and skills necessary to discharge the duties of the Rector. The right to stand for election to the position of the Rector may also be exercised by a person not working at the University at the time of their nomination.
A person may not qualify for the position of the Rector if:
- He/she is a member of Vilnius University Council;
- He/she has reached the statutory retirement age by 1 April, 2020;
- He/she is a member of the Central Electoral Commission;
- He/she held the position of the Rector for two consecutive terms prior to the Competition. The latter provision shall also apply in the instances where a person did not serve as the Rector for a full term of office (any of the two), except in cases of holding the position of the Rector ad interim in accordance with the procedure established in the Statute.
Applications for the position of the Rector with all the documents indicated below must be submitted to the Central Electoral Commission in person, via registered mail or a courier service provider (to Room No. 111, Universiteto Str. 3, LT-01513 Vilnius, Lithuania) or by e-mail to by 5.00 PM (local time), 31 October 2019.
The following documents in the Lithuanian language (or their official translations into the Lithuanian language in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Lithuania) must be included:
- An application letter to participate in the open competition submitted in accordance with the form presented in Annex 2 of the Description of the Procedure for the Election to the Position of the Rector (hereinafter, the Description) established by Vilnius University Council; (download the application form here)
- A filled questionnaire of the form presented in Annex 3 of the Description and approved by Vilnius University Council; (download the questionnaire here)
- The Declaration of Good Repute and Conflict of Interest Statement submitted in accordance with the forms presented in Annex 4 of the Description and approved by Vilnius University Council; (download the Declaration form here)
- A planned programme concept of the Rectorship for the forthcoming term (recommended volume - about 2,500 words);
- A copy of an identity proof document;
- A copy of a document certifying the higher education achieved;
- A copy of a document certifying the degree in science (art) obtained;
- Copies of the documents certifying teaching and managerial experience.
Important note: the copies of the documents indicated in Paragraphs 5-8 are to be duly certified by a Notary or duly authorized by a representative of Vilnius University.
If the documents are submitted by e-mail, a legally binding electronic signature is essential for the papers indicated in Paragraphs 1-3; and the scanned copies identified in Paragraphs 5-8 must be followed by original documents or their copies duly certified by a Notary and submitted in person to the Central Electoral Commission before 5.00 PM (local time), 6 November 2019.
The schedule of the sessions for the Candidates approved by the Central Electoral Commission to be heard by Vilnius University Council and introduced to the community of Vilnius University including the timetable of public debates will be announced before 30 November 2019. The Candidates shall be notified on the matter in person.
You can read The Resolution of Vilnius University Council here.