Admission to doctoral studies in 2017
Vilnius University (hereafter – University) publishes a competition to doctoral dissertation topics in five research areas (annex 1; see the chapter "Dissertation themes") in accordance with articles 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 of the 3rd chapter of Vilnius University regulations on doctoral studies.
Applicants must have a Master's qualification degree or a higher education degree equivalent to it.
The application with all required enclosures must be mailed via regular (air) mail or by an international courier service. E-mailed or faxed applications or enclosures will not be processed. Applicants have to submit to the Department of Doctoral and Residency Studies the following documents by the 27th of June 15 hrs (inclusive) unless stated otherwise (please check the information on faculties websites):
2. a copy of the passport or any other valid identification card;
3. copies of the Master's diploma or of a higher education diploma equivalent to it and their supplements;
4. Curriculum Vitae;
6. a short description of prospective research project;
7. a list of research works and their copies, conference presentations, works awarded at academic competitions (if there is any);
8. recommendations by two academic referees from the topic of the relevant field of science;
9. a certificate of assessment of academic qualifications issued by the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education (if it is asked);
10. 15 Euro instalment voucher (a form of instalment voucher is published at University website (http://www.vu.lt/studijos/doktorantura-ir-rezidentura/doktorantams/priemimas-dokt).
All documents issued in a language other than English, Russian or Lithuanian should be supplemented with an official translation.
Doctoral committees determine the requirements for research projects or an examination, or conversation and publicize them on the websites of academic units.
Research projects (if it is set as the method of admission) must be submitted from the 12th by the 23rd of June (inclusive) to Doctoral committees. (Doctoral committees can set their chosen particular dates for the presentation of projects and publicize them on the websites of academic units of the University.) Doctoral committees can require to submit additional documents which are not provided for in Vilnius University regulations on doctoral studies.
On the 28th, 29th and 30th of June the applicants take an entrance examination or defend their research project, or have a conversation under the Doctoral committee established procedure. The results are assessed by the 10-point scale.
Initiation grade is composed of the grade point average of Master's diploma supplement and the assessment of conversation or entrance examination or research project.
Rector's order on the admission to doctoral studies is publicized on the University website from the 4th of July 13 hrs.
The agreements of doctoral studies will be signed from the 10th to 14th of July at Department of Doctoral and Residency Studies (Vilnius University, 3 Universiteto Street, room 352).
International students admitted to state unfunded doctoral studies in University must pay the stated tuition fees per one academic year: regular studies – 8223 euro and extended studies – 5482 euro.
Doctoral studies begin on the 1st of October.
Methods of admission to doctoral studies
• Philology – research project and conversation;
• Philosophy – research project and conversation;
• History – research project and conversation;
• Ethnology – research project and conversation.
• Law – research project and conversation;
• Political Sciences – research project and conversation;
• Psychology – research project and conversation;
• Sociology – research project and conversation;
• Education – research project and conversation;
• Economics – research project and conversation;
• Management – research project and conversation;
• Communication and information – research project and conversation.
• Chemistry – conversation;
• Physics – conversation;
• Mathematics – conversation;
• Informatics – conversation;
• Geology – conversation;
• Biochemistry – conversation;
• Physical Geography – conversation.
• Biology – research project and conversation;
• Biophysics – conversation;
• Medicine – entrance examination;
• Odontology – entrance examination;
• Public Health – entrance examination.
• Substance Engineering – conversation;
• Chemical Engineering – conversation;
• Informatics Engineering – conversation.
More detailed information is available at the Department of Doctoral and Residency Studies, Vilnius University, 3 Universiteto Street, phone: +37052687093, +37052687095.