ADMISSION TO DOCTORAL STUDIES IN 2018
Vilnius University (hereafter – University) publishes a competition to doctoral dissertation topics in five research areas (see the chapter Dissertation themes, annex 1) in accordance with the 3rd chapter of Vilnius University regulations on doctoral studies.
Applicants must have a Master’s qualification degree or a higher education degree equivalent to it.
The application with all required enclosures must be mailed via regular (air) mail or by an international courier service. E-mailed or faxed applications or enclosures will not be processed.
Applicants have to submit to the Office of Doctoral and Postdoctoral Studies the following documents by the 25th of June (inclusive) unless stated otherwise:
1. an application addressed to the Rector;
2. a copy of the passport or any other valid identification card;
3. copies of the Master’s diploma or of a higher education diploma equivalent to it and their supplements;
4. Curriculum Vitae;
5. a completed questionnaire with a photo;
6. a short description of prospective research project;
7. a list of research works and their copies, conference presentations, works awarded at academic competitions (if there is any);
8. recommendations by two academic referees from the topic of the relevant field of science;
9. a certificate of assessment of academic qualifications issued by the Centre for Quality Assessment in Higher Education (if it is asked);
10. 15 Eur instalment cheque.
All documents issued in a language other than English, Russian or Lithuanian should be supplemented with an official translation.
Doctoral committees determine the requirements for research projects or an examination or conversation and publicize them on the websites of academic units.
Research projects (if it is set as the method of admission) must be submitted from the 11th by the 22nd of June (inclusive) to Doctoral committees. (Doctoral committees can set their chosen particular dates for the presentation of projects and publicize them on the websites of academic units of the University.) Doctoral committees can require to submit additional documents which are not provided for in Vilnius University regulations on doctoral studies.
On the 27th–29th of June the applicants take an entrance examination or defend their research project or have a conversation under the Doctoral committee established procedure. The results are assessed by the 10-point scale.
Initiation grade is composed of the grade point average of Master’s diploma supplement and the assessment of conversation or entrance examination or research project.
About the results of the admission each participant is informed from the 5th of July 15 hrs.
International students admitted to state unfunded doctoral studies in University must pay the stated tuition fees per one academic year: regular studies – 8352 Eur and extended studies – 5568 Eur (information of payment).
The agreements of doctoral studies are signed from the 9th to 13th of July at the Office of Doctoral and Postdoctoral Studies (Vilnius University, University Street 3, rooms 108 and 109).
Doctoral studies begin on the 1st of October.
Methods of the admission to doctoral studies
THE HUMANITIES H 000:
• Philology – research project and conversation;
• Philosophy – research project and conversation;
• History and Archaeology – research project and conversation;
• Ethnology – research project and conversation.
SOCIAL SCIENCES S 000:
• Law – research project and conversation;
• Political Sciences – research project and conversation;
• Psychology – research project and conversation;
• Sociology – research project and conversation;
• Education – research project and conversation;
• Economics – research project and conversation;
• Management – research project and conversation;
• Communication and Information – research project and conversation.
LIFE SCIENCES N 000:
• Chemistry – conversation;
• Physics – conversation;
• Mathematics – conversation;
• Informatics – conversation;
• Geology – conversation;
• Biochemistry – conversation;
• Physical Geography – conversation;
• Biology – research project and conversation;
• Biophysics – conversation.
MEDICINE AND HEALTH SCIENCES M 000:
• Medicine – entrance examination;
• Odontology – entrance examination;
• Public Health – entrance examination.
TECHNOLOGICAL SCIENCES T 000:
• Materials Engineering – conversation;
• Chemical Engineering – conversation;
• Informatics Engineering – conversation.