Social Insurance Fund in Lithuania: “Sodra”
Following the Law on Social Services of the Republic of Lithuania a foreign citizen, holding a permanent or temporary residence permit is entitled to the same social services in the Republic of Lithuania as a Lithuanian citizen.
What social guaranties can I expect?
Who is eligible for the Compulsory health insurance?(Lt: “PSD”)
- Foreigners permanently residing in LT:
Non-EU: Permanent residence permit
EU: Certificate confirming the right of permanent residence in LT (issued for 10 years)
- Foreigners temporarily residing in LT if legally employed (+ their kids)
- Foreigners who have worked in LT for at least 6 months and have registered at the Employment Service
If you are working under a working contract you are covered by all the social insurance types:
- Sickness insurance
- Maternity insurance
- Unemployment insurance
- Occupational accident insurance
- Pension insurance
- Health insurance
What if I’m not covered by PSD?
- Get a private health insurance (BTA, Gjensidige, Seesam, Ergo, Lietuvos draudimas, IF). Full list: http://www.draudikai.lt/en/insurers
- Pay each time you have to visit a doctor.
Source & updated information: “Sodra”