The University in Vilnius and Kaunas cities
Faculties and research institutes of Vilnius University are scattered all over the city on eight academic campuses with one faculty in Kaunas.
The Old Campus
The complex of University buildings extends over a whole block of the Old Town. Its original architecture attracts the visitor’s attention. The construction of the University buildings was carried on over the centuries under the changing influences of the Gothic, Renaissance, Baroque, and Classical styles. The campus began to take shape in about 1570 in a city quarter belonging to the Bishop of Vilnius. By that time, the area had already been built up with brick houses. It later gradually expanded to the east and to the north, towards St.John’s church. Bounded by four streets , the campus is composed of 13 buildings, some of them having multiple structures, the Church of St.John, and the belfry. The buildings are arranged around 13 courtyards of different shape and size. At present the Rector’s Office, the Library, the Faculties of Philology, Philosophy, and History, as well as Institute of Foreign Languages and the Centre of Oriental Studies are situated there.