|Qualification awarded||Bachelor in Humanities|
|Field of study||Humanities|
|Faculty||Faculty of Philology|
|Study area||Philology by language|
|Length of the programme (years)||4 years (8 semesters)|
|Scope of programme (ECTS)||240 ECTS|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Starting date||1st September|
|Click here to apply|
* Tuition fee may change
WHY ENGLISH PHILOLOGY AT VILNIUS UNIVERSITY?
The distinctive feature of the English Philology programme is the flexibility of the study programme providing the opportunity for students to individualize their studies in a way that best suits their interests and abilities.
The programme allows students:
- to specialise in different aspects of English linguistics, literature and culture;
- to choose a minor study programme of a different field/ subject offered at Vilnius University;
- to combine different courses of their main field and general university courses offered at Vilnius University.
The English Philology programme is committed to teaching comprehensive research skills; individualized instruction and feedback; it also provides an opportunity to choose from three options of internship and professional placement, including translation, teaching, and corpus linguistics/ research. The English Philology programme is a student-centred programme which fosters their learning motivation, develops competencies necessary for the student in order to meet the needs of social and personal development, and local and global labour market, it also helps students to acquire competences compatible with their bachelor’s degree and be prepared for further studies or work in a certain area.
A degree in English Philology can lead to successful careers in a wide variety of fields:
Our graduates will be able to find employment in translation, public relations, journalism, teaching, research, literary and film criticism, content editing, marketing, law, economics, working for foreign embassies, government and European Union institutions etc. They can take leading positions in both – private and public sectors.
English major can also work as a private tutor or a secondary school teacher, provided he/she holds a teacher’s professional qualification acquired after completing a Minor or a post-diploma study programme in subject pedagogy (ESL).
- Matura (school leaving) certificate;
- English proficiency not lower than level B2 according to the CEFR (Common European Framework of Reference for Languages), prior to admission, all applicants will need to provide certified copies of their academic CAE, PET, IELTS, TOEFL IbT, TOEIC, LRN or IELCA results.
Students can participate in ERASMUS+ mobility programme which gives an opportunity to study at VU’s Partner University for 1 or 2 semesters or to do internship abroad.