|Qualification awarded||Medical Doctor, Master in Health Sciences|
|Field of study||Medicine|
|Faculty||Faculty of Medicine|
|Study area||Health Sciences|
|Length of the programme (years)||6 years|
|Scope of programme (ECTS)||360 ECTS|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Starting date||1st September|
11 000 EUR/per year
WHY STUDY MEDICINE AT VILNIUS UNIVERSITY?
- The programme incorporates the classical teaching model in order to develop a firm foundation in basic science before entering the clinical field.
- A unique opportunity to practice in one of the six largest Lithuanian hospitals and benefit from early interaction with patients through visits to general practices.
- Integrated internship
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND SELECTION CRITERIA
- Applicants are required to take one of the following tests:
- SAT Subject Test in Biology E/M MIN score: 600. SAT exam is taken at home country or any other country where test is offered. Click here for further information.
- MCAT Test MIN score: 500. MCAT exam is taken at home country or any other country where test is offered. Click here for further information.
[COVID-19]: IMPORTANT CHANGES FOR ADMISSION OF ACADEMIC YEAR 20/21: If an applicant has not taken SAT Subject Test in Biology, he/she must submit the certificate proving the taking of the state exam in Biology that is carried out by the national examination centre. The applicant must score 70% or higher of the maximum result. State exam in Chemistry would be an advandage to the application. Please note that school exams will not be accepted.
Applicants who have a degree in Biomedical Sciences can apply without taking SAT Subject Test in Biology or MCAT Test. In such case please submit the diploma and the transcripts when applying.
SAT Subject Test in Biology or MCAT Test is required even for those applicants whose countries of residency do not offer the tests.
SAT Subject Test in Biology and MCAT scores are valid for two years.
Applicants applying through the agencies that VU are in cooperation with, including MediStart, StudiMed, MD International and ISRAMED4U, are not obliged to take SAT Subject Test in Biology or MCAT Test.
- Completion of Biology course at the secondary education level is compulsory;
- Completion of either physics, mathematics or chemistry course at the secondary education level is an advantage;
- English language proficiency. TOEFL score: 65+ (internet-based) or IELTS score: 5.5+.
Students whose first language is English and/or who has a university degree in English, and/or who are taking SAT Subject Test in Biology or MCAT Test are not required to submit any additional proof of proficiency in English.
- Only the selected candidates will be invited for the interview.
Please note: Internship is integrated into the curriculum of Medicine study programme and is an obligatory step of the programme, however, students are free to choose where to complete the internship – in Lithuania or another country. Those who are willing to do their internships in Lithuania are required to have at least B1 level in Lithuanian Language. B1 level in Lithuanian Language is also required when applying for a license of health care professionals. Lithuanian Language course is an optional course in Medicine/Dentistry study programme and is available for all who are willing to choose it.
Important information regarding the Lithuanian Language course during the studies
- VU Faculty of Medicine offers students a FREE OF CHARGE Lithuanian Language course;
- B1 level of Lithuanian language is achieved after four semesters of attendance;
- One semester course is 2,5 ECTS credits;
- The student shall attend classes two times per week
Why taking the Lithuanian Langue course is important:
- During the clinical courses to communicate with patients. Knowing the language eases communication and considerably helps the learning process.
- Easier to obtain licensing in the country of choice. After graduation of integrated Medicine studies, having B1 level of Lithuanian, graduates may apply for a license for doctor’s medical practice according to The Law on Medical Practice of the Republic of Lithuania. That means graduates could get licenses issued in Lithuania and later on they could start the practice in Lithuania or in another country where LT license is valid or might help to get a license in that country in a faster and easier way. Applying for licenses in Lithuania is not mandatory but might shorten the procedures and time required to obtain a license in another country.