- Keywords: sociolinguistic situation, linguistic behaviour, language attitudes, bilingualism, multilingualism, language policy, teaching Lithuanian as a foreign language, language testing
The scientific work of the research group focuses on sociolinguistics and linguodidactics.
Research group activities
Main research areas encompass:
- Lithuanian sociolinguistic situation
- Bilingualism and multilingualism
- Mastery and usage of languages and dialects of Lithuanians and ethnic minorities in Lithuania and in Lithuanian diaspora
- Language usage in different situations and with different interlocutors
- Language attitudes
- Language policy and management
Our team has expertise in analysing language behaviour and attitudes using different interdisciplinary methods (quantitative as well as qualitative). We seek partnership with similar groups in other countries, especially focusing on multilingual societies, to engage into comparative research of language behaviour in different domains.
The research group offers:
- professional partnership in sociolinguistic projects;
- scientific recommendations concerning language policy, bilingual and multilingual education, linguistic behaviour based on various sociolinguistic research activities;
- services in applied linguistics, such as organising teaching courses for Lithuanian as a second/foreign language (various levels), tests for Lithuanians as a second/foreign language (A1 to C1 levels), training for second/foreign language teachers, test developers and testers, teachers of Lithuanian abroad, developers of language teaching curricula, etc.
Meet our team
Prof. dr. Meilutė Ramonienė
Is the Head of the Department of Lithuanian Studies at Vilnius University. Her research focuses on applied linguistics, sociolinguistics, and methodology of teaching foreign languages. Her publications include but are not limited to edited books and papers on language use and language attitudes, language and identity, textbooks for teaching Lithuanian as a second language. She has coordinated research projects “Language usage and ethnic identity in urban areas of Lithuania”, “Sociolinguistic map of Lithuania: cities and towns”, “Language of emigrants”, “The Lithuanian language in diaspora: proficiency, usage, attrition”.
Prof. Dr. Ala Lichačiova
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Loreta Vilkienė
Assist. Prof. Dr. Eglė Gudavičienė
Assist. Prof. Dr. Inga Hilbig
Dr. Kristina Jakaitė Bulbukienė
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Kinga Geben
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Loreta Vaicekauskienė
PhD student Eglė Vaisėtaitė
- Innovative sociolinguistic projects: Lithuanian language in diaspora: knowing, usage, attrition (2015-2017), Emigrants‘ language (2011-2013), Sociolinguistic map of Lithuania: cities and towns (2010-2012), Language usage and ethnical identity in Lithuanian cities (Cities and languages) (2007-2009). The results of the projects are presented in three collective monographs and many scientific articles (published by international publishing houses such as Routledge, Peter Lang, Palgrave, etc.) and in Lithuanian research magazines.
- Lithuanian Science award in 2006.
- Publications for teaching Lithuanian as a second/foreign language, released by international (Routledge, Murray Learning/Hodder Education) and Lithuanian publishing houses.
Prof. dr. Meilutė Ramonienė
Faculty of Philology
Phone: +370 5 268 7214
More about the Faculty of Philology: http://www.flf.vu.lt/en/
Department for Research
Phone: +370 5 268 7006
More information: https://www.vu.lt/en/business/
Flyer for printing: Language_usage_teaching_and_learning_research_group.pdf