The main tools and links that are really worth knowing about during this online teaching period:
VIRTUAL LEARNING ENVIRONMENT (VMA)
Vilnius University Virtual Learning Environment (VMA) – course management system (Moodle), where instructors can share study materials and organize online study activities such as uploading and evaluating assignments, creating tests, providing reading material, providing links to lectures or other resources, communicating with students, giving them feedback on their work, organizing peer-to-peer communication, etc.
You can sign in to VMA with your Single Login account provided by Vilnius University.
Virtual Learning Environment guide will provide you with instructions that will help you to prepare your online courses.
MS Teams - digital communication platform that helps to effectively organize online learning process as well as, work and collaborate in one place. MS Teams will help you switch from face-to-face to online communication. In this platform you can:
- Give and record lectures and seminars using the video conference function;
- Communicate with your students about your courses and their assignments, as well as provide them with feedback.
- Organize collaboration on group assignments;
- Make the study process more convenient by using the Office365 and other applications (they can be found at the “Apps” section).
Most important Microsoft Teams updates, which were made during the Autumn Semester of Academic Year 2020/2021:
- Breakout Rooms: meeting hosts can create virtual rooms to be used by meeting participants for smaller group discussion (Instructions).
- Users can pin any message in a channel to the channel information pane for all members of the channel to see (Instructions).
- Meeting organizers are able to mute one to many meeting participants while removing the muted participants' ability to unmute themselves (Instructions).
- Meeting presenters are able to lock on an individual video feed for all attendees to see during a Teams meeting. Once selected, the individual identified as the spotlight will be the main video shown to all participants (Instructions).
- Background noise suppresion in MS Teams meetings, which will automatically remove unwelcome background noise during meetings (Instructions).
- Meeting recordings will be saved in MS Teams channels or, if the recording was made not in a channel meeting, to a person's, who started the recording, OneDrive account (instead of MS Streams).
Upcoming features of MS Teams:
- Block downloads for MS Teams meeting recordings on OneDrive and SharePoint.
- Add a custom attendee registration page to any meeting to better manage attendance before and after any engagement. Following registration, attendees receive an email confirmation with calendar invite.
- New Teams meeting controls will let you personalize the meeting view to suit your preferences and needs, such as the ability to show shared content and specific participants side-by-side (more).
- Presenter View on MS Teams: presenters will be able to view slide notes and upcoming slides helping the presenters keep the meeting on track, discuss meeting notes as needed and navigate to meeting slides quickly.
- Video filters: before joining a meeting, you can use the filters to subtly adjust lighting levels and soften the focus of the camera to customize your appearance.
- Meeting organizers will be able to turn off the chat functionality during a meeting, which is turned on by default.
We have prepared some resources for instructors that will help you give and record your classes online using MS Teams. You may access them here (pay attention to the "next" button at the bottom right corner).
If you have any questions regarding “MS Teams”, we created a Team (“Teams pagalba”) in the same platform. You can join it:
- By entering Team code - b0vvru9;
- By pressing this link.
You will see that most of the communication over there is in Lithuanian, but do not hesitate to pose your questions, they will be answered!
At the office365.vu.lt environment you can:
- Work on text documents (MS Word), presentations (MS Powerpoint), sheets (MS Excel) in collaboration with other colleagues or students online at the same time. This may help students with their group assignments;
- Interact with the University community and get all relevant information by email (MS Outlook);
- Share files related to studies (MS OneDrive and MS Sharepoint);
- Make notes and collect textual and visual information individually or together with students or colleagues (MS OneNote);
- Plan your time effectively (MS Planner and MS ToDo);
- Share videos (lectures, seminars, etc.) with students (MS Stream).
Full list of Office365 applications is available at office365.vu.lt. You can use the applications online or download them for free.
REMOTE ACCESS TO SOFTWARE
During the pandemic, VU students and employees have been provided with an option to use specialized statistical data processing software SPSS from their virtual work spaces.
- You can access your profile via your internet browser at https://darbalaukis.vu.lt.
- Use your eID and password provided by the university and select the work space “Lankytojai (su SPSS paketu)“.
Users that cannot access through the browser (i.e. HTML client) can download VMware Horizon Client from Microsoft Store or by clicking a link that is situated at the bottom of darbalaukis.vu.lt access window. Once VMware Horizon Client has been downloaded and set up, a new server “darbalaukis.vu.lt” has to be added.
University students and employees can also remotely set up and use MATLAB and Simulink software for mathematic calculation and modelling. Address for registration and logging-in can be found here.
VU students and employees can access and buy software produced by various creators at discount prices at vilniaus.onthehub.com.
More information about software at Vilnius University can be found here.
During this period, the library offers the VU community even more electronic resources (books, magazines, videos, etc.) that can be accessed from your personal computers.
We invite you to actively follow the information on https://biblioteka.vu.lt/en/ and use the electronic resources in the databases.
Please note: databases can be accessed through the VU network only. It's also possible to connect to the VU network using VU VPN service. More information about the VU VPN is available here.