If you want to develop yourself, to gain valuable professional experience in a foreign company or organisation – join Erasmus+ traineeship program. All you have to do is this:
- Find a host organisation in one of the Programme countries;
- Fill in the application form;
- Submit the application to you departamental Erasmus+ traineeship coordinator;
- Wait for the decision concerning your traineeship and Erasmus+ scholarship;
- Consolidate and sign Learning Agreement;
- Go through invaluable professional experience during your traineeship abroad.
About Erasmus+ traineeship
Erasmus+ traineeship is a traineeship (work placement) abroad in an enterprise or any other relevant organisation in Erasmus+ programme country. During the traineeship you will:
- apply in practice theoretical knowledge acquired during your studies and develop professional skills;
- reveal your personal competences useful for your profession;
- learn about other culture and improve foreign language skills;
- strengthen self-confidence;
- make new contacts.
Important! Erasmus traineeship during your studies is counted as professional traineeship (it is reflected in diploma and you might get academic credits).
Where can I do Erasmus+ traineeship?
In any organisation or institution that is legally established in Erasmus+ programme country, regardless its size, legal status, or area of work. The activities of the organisation must correspond to your study programme. The host organisation can be:
- a public or private, a small, medium or large enterprise (including social enterprises);
- a public body at local, regional or national level;
- Lithuanian embassy abroad;
- a higher education institution;
- a research institute;
- a school/institute/educational centre (at any level, from pre-school to upper secondary education, and including vocational education and adult education);
- a non-profit organisation, association, NGO.
The following types of organisations are not eligible as host organisations:
- EU institutions and other EU bodies including specialised agencies;
- organisations managing EU programmes such as national agencies.
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, The Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Turkey, United Kingdom.
If the country, where you would like to do your traineeship, is not in this list, it means that this country does not participate in Erasmus+ rogramme and the traineeship in that country cannot be supported by the programme.
Important! Switzerland does not participate in Erasmus+ programme; however, the traineeship in Switzerland can be approved and financially supported from national funds (depending on the specific contract, there might be additional conditions).
Also important! Outermost Regions of the European Union and Overseas Countries and Territories = OCT are also eligible Erasmus+ program territories (see Program Guide, p. 21). However, when sending students to these regions, they cannot be paid an additional scholarship (e.g. to cover travel expenses), i.e. a student gets only corresponding monthly scholarship depending from the country the territory belongs to. Map of these regions.
Duration of the traineeship
From 2 to 12 months. A usual duration of a recent graduates' traineeships at Vilnius University do not exceed 6 months (however, recent graduates, already being on the traineeship, can ask for the extension of the traineeship, and in certain cases, their request might be approved).
Important! The student can benefit of an exchange abroad with Erasmus+ multiple times, either as a student or as a trainee, but your total time abroad (study abroad periods included) may not exceed 12 months within one cycle of study. You can also go for a traineeship abroad as a recent graduate; in this case, your traineeship duration counts towards the 12 months maximum of the cycle of study.
In one-cycle study programmes, students can go abroad with Erasmus+ for as long as 24 months.
Erasmus+ traineeship scholarship
Programme Countries are divided into three groups:
|Country groups||Erasmus+ traineeship grant per month, EUR|
|I group: Austria, Denmark, Finland, France, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Norway, Sweden, United Kingdom.||700 EUR|
|II group: Belgium, Czech Republic, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Spain, Croatia, Cyprus, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Slovenia, Turkey.||600 EUR|
|III group: Bulgaria, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Romania, Slovakia, former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.||500 EUR|
The grant is supposed to partly cover travel, insurance, accommodation and food expenses.
Students with special needs can receive additional support. The support is granted to cover:
- additional expenses for tools and/or services depending on the type of special needs, disease/disability;
- accommodation and travel costs for an accompanying person, if proven.
The need for these additional expenses has to be proven by medical documents. For more detailed information about the extra support please proceed to Erasmus+ programme web-page.
When can I receive Erasmus mobility grant?
- If you do not have academic debts;
- If you study in:
- first study cycle (Bachelor or equivalent) including the short-cycle (EQF levels 5 and 6);
- second study cycle (Master or equivalent - EQF level 7);
- third cycle as doctoral candidate (doctoral level or EQF level 8).
- Activities of your foreseen traineeship correspond with the requirements of your study programme;
Important! If you are planning to go for a traineeship abroad as a recent graduate (within 12 months of your graduation), the application has to be submitted until the end of last semester of your studies (i.e. your application has to be submitted until December 31 or May 31 correspondingly); however, the decision concerning the traineeship will only be made after successful graduation.
When can I do Erasmus traineeship?
During school year and during summer, if agreed with your academic unit.
Important! Recent graduates need to finish their traineeship within the first year of graduation: your traineeship has to begin and finish within first 12 months after the termination of study agreement.
How to find a host organisation?
- Check the traineeship offers received by Vilnius University;
- Check placements on the webpage of Partners4value(Note: VU students in order to see full list of offers, need to log in. Log in details: name - vu, password - @Partners4vu865);
- Check the
- Contact intermediate organisations;
- Have a look at the list of organisations, where VU students have already completed their traineeships;
- Search for the traineeship options in the field of your interests via Internet, social networks, etc.;
- Contact the Erasmus+ traineeship coordinator in your faculty, professors, supervisors who have contacts in organisations abroad;
- If these options do not work - ask for assistance of the Internship coordinator of the University (see contacts below).
What to pay attention to while choosing a host organisation?
- Is there a possibility to prepare a traineeship plan that would be compatible with the requirements of your study programme?
- Is there a possibility to have a supervisor who would not only help in preparation of the traineeship plan, but also would coordinate its implementation in the host organisation?
- Are your language skills sufficient for the activities foreseen during the traineeship?
- Will your host organisation help in finding accommodation for the duration of traineeship?
- Is the host organisation providing extra financial or in-kind support (accommodation, local transportation, etc.) during the traineeship?
Next steps when you have a host organisation
- Ask the host organisation to send you a confirmation of their willingness to accept you as a trainee. Recomended form of such confirmation - Letter of Confirmation;
- Fill in the Erasmus+ traineeship application form;
- Submit documents 1 and 2 to the Erasmus+ traineeship coordinator at your department (faculty).
Deadlines for applications:
STUDENTS. Applications are accepted constantly. It is recommended to submit the application at least 2 months before the desired beginning of the traineeship.
RECENT GRADUATES. If your study programme is 4 or 2 years, you need to submit the application during the last semester of your studies till 31st of May. If your study programme is 3.5 or 1.5 year – during the last semester till 31st of December.
How is the decision for Erasmus+ mobility grant made?
Decision making committee in the faculty / institute / centre where you study decides upon the approval of traineeships, according to:
- compatibility of the foreseen activities of your traineeship with your study programme requirements;
- your study results;
- history of mobility (priority is given to those who are applying for the first time)
Attention! According to the decision of the EU Higher education programmes implementation experts commission in Lithuania as of 2011-01-10 No. NV-5, the priority is given to full-time study program students.
Selected candidates are informed about the decision and the following steps by email.
Important! The decision cocerning the approval of Erasmus+ recent graduate traineeship is made only after the defence of final thesis / final examination.
To receive Erasmus+ mobility scholarship:
Before the traineeship (after the traineeship is approved):
- Learning Agreement for Traineeship
- Grant Agreement (Note: is filled by the institutional internship coordinator)
- Request for international placement abroad
For extra financial support for students with special needs:
Do you have any questions? Contact us!
Student Services and Career Office
Saulėtekio ave. 9, III building, 104 room
Phone: (8 5) 236 6011
Departamental Erasmus+ internship coordinators